<span class="highlight">Stone</span> Guards

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:39
ThreadID: 92764 Views:10882 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Once again looking to pick your brains and pick up from the wide experience available in this forum.
I have a 200 Series Landcruiser and we had a campertrailer with an angled stone guard on the drawbar. We have since sold it and changing to a caravan.
My issue is that after our trip to Karijini and Millstream late last year, I found that there were many little chips still appearing on the tailgate of the Cruiser. Being black, (my choice and I was warned!! LOL) they can be quite eye catching up close. I know they are there and they really annoy me. Anyway, the point is, that this leads me to believe that the angled guard is not adequate. I have seen the big flaps that attach to the Cruiser but not sure if this is good for me either as we do like to do a lot of off-roading.
Any tips and experiences would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:35

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:35
G'day, have looked long and hard at what is available and have decided that the "Stone Stomper" looks like the easiest and most practical method of stopping stones. I haven't got mine yet, so can't comment on real life use, but I am sure others on here will. Thread 80280 has some information also. Good luck.

Stone Stomper

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481338

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 14:17

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 14:17
Thanks John
FollowupID: 756711

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 14:53

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 14:53
Phil,

I own and have tried the Rock Tamer which is well made, adjustable and easily fitted.
After a trip last year up the Birdsville Track I was not altogether happy with them. I could see sizable stones bouncing out sideways after ricocheting off the flaps. I stopped and adjusted the Tamers to angle backwards more and while it seemed to reduce the problem, I still wasn't happy.
On the way back to Adelaide on the Marree side of the Track, I had a puncture in the rear passenger side tyre.
Well, let my tell you it wasn't fun getting the spare tyre out from it's suspended home underneath the rear of the vehicle and out through the rubber flaps.

I learnt two things from this. Place the spare up on the roof rack basket, or the top of the camper when travelling and look for a better stoneguard that doesn't spew stones out from the rubber flaps.

I have since purchased and fitted the Stone Stomper "trampoline" as mentioned by John.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481349

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:23

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:23
Hi Phill,

On my 200 I have a Stone Stomper and after trying virtually every other type of stone guard over the years on different vehicles, its the only one I would ever fit again.

I have had extended mud flaps, large rear flap, trailer mounted deflectors etc... and all have had issues. The Stone Stomper has completely eliminated any stone chips not only on the vehicle, but also on the drawbar of the camper and the camper front end.

The heavy rubber flap type (Rock Tamer type) can flick rocks up if they are too close to the ground, plus the gap allows rocks to shoot between the flaps, hit the drawbar and richocet in any direction. The deflector on the camper works fine, except its aimed at the back of the vehicle, just because its pointing down dosent meant the rocks go down! The extended mud flap type often hit the ground on bigger bumps and spray more rocks around. The trampoline type (Stone Stomer) has been the only one I have found to virtually eliminate all this.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 481353

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:59

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:59
Mark did you fit a tip to your exhaust pipe that sent the hot gasses down towards the road?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756779

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:29

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:29
Hi Stephen,

No I didn't and I now have a small burnt section on the bottom of the canvas flap, along with some discolouring. Should have done something about it earlier, but it won't get any bigger now and as it doesn't affect the functionality of anything, will now leave it as is.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 756921

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 16:22

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 16:22
Sandman and Captain. Invaluable. Cheers gentlemen. Much appreciatated. I know now exactly where my dollar is going to go in an attempt to protect my Black Beauty and our new van.....

All the best
AnswerID: 481358

Reply By: Kyle H - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:50

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:50
I have made my own trampoline style stone guard for my rig, LC200 & Supreme caravan, pretty much the same as a stone Stomper. They are the best for eliminating stone to both car and van. They also seem to direct the dust undernearth the van to a certain extent and keeps things a little cleaner.

The angled stone guards on the draw bars not only don't protect your car but they bounce stones off at vehicles coming in the opposite direction, a problem I noticed recently when passing camper trailers touring Cape York.
AnswerID: 481401

Reply By: quincy - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18
do yourself a favor and buy the stonestomper. i travelled 10,000Km 2 years ago through this great country and most of it was on dirt, and not a chip on either my van or car and most of all no broken window! christain at stone stomper is great to deal with and it wont break the bank.quincy
AnswerID: 481419

Reply By: Mark-n-Troods - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 13:54

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 13:54
Yep another vote for the Stone Stomper , fantastic product and Christian is fantastic to deal with :-)
AnswerID: 481527

Reply By: Nielsent - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 21:07

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 21:07
Just doing some research and am pretty sold on the stomper, bit dearer than some options but you generally get what you pay for.
Living in central queensland for many years I was always told not to use big mud flaps as they direct stones straight down and under the flap then they bounce straight up into the tow.
I have had a good angled on on a camper which worked well with just one or two small stone chips on the vehicle but think the stomped will be better.
AnswerID: 482559

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:09

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:09
Thanks to all you guys we will be getting a stomper. We are getting our van on May14th and have been advised to wait until then to take vehicle/van specific measurements. I am just hoping its easy to fit as I am very apprehensive about putting any holes in my Cruiser.
AnswerID: 482579

Sponsored Links